Followers

Sunday, November 18, 2012

~Blog Assignment Week 4~

~Week 4 Blog Assignment~
 Who Am I as a Communicator
How Others Evaluated Me:  
People who evaluated me were my son (age 17) and my respite care provider; Cynthia (middle-aged, married and retired)

Similarities & Differences 

Communication Scales Survey – CD 6165-7 Week 4
Verbal Aggressiveness Scale-My score ranged from 61 to 58.
 Everyone thought that I never engage in verbal aggressiveness or personal attacks. Also, I am respectful of others. My lowest score is that I attempt to change the minds of others and may not be respectful of others viewpoints. My highest score was that I may ridicule others who don’t share my viewpoint. 

Communication Anxiety Inventory-My score ranged from 42 to 51.
I scored the lowest in feeling comfortable communicating in most situations. My highest score is reveals that I have anxiety in most areas of communication, making it difficult to influence others. 

Listening Styles Profile-
I am empathetic and concerned with emotions of others; I am business-like; I focus on details and need all information before making a decision; I love a tight schedule and listen to others, efficient but impatient.
Precious Moments


What is the one thing that surprised you the most? Why? 
I wasn't surprised, but I don't have many communicator partners other than my own family, colleagues and people associated with my son with Autism. I don't associate with many people outside the home. I need to make more plans to communicate with my peers. Recently, I have been going to reunions and parties hosted by my high school peers, we are the same age and generation. 
Precious Moments

What other insights about communication did you gain this week? 

Communication is a two-way street.  You have to be honest in all communications with children, parents, colleagues, etc. The three thoughts about ourselves: Self-concept-Knowledge of self; Self-esteem-Feelings about the self and Self-efficacy-Prediction of success for the self is now important to me.Growing up in a family of six and being the last female, I did not have a lot of self-concept nor self-esteem. As I got older, things improved-I graduated from high school early and went nearly 2,000 miles away from home to college.I need to really think about my Self-fulfilling prophecy, I don't think, I will ever get married again. My own mother, never re-married. I don't think, I will get a successful, good paying job, because I have been out of the job market for awhile. I realize that I  have to do the "footwork" and the rest will follow.
Precious Moments

Choose at least two to share with others through your blog and consider how each might inform your professional work and personal life.
  1.  I will likely succeed in classroom situations but struggle in more fast-paced environments. 
  2. I maintain a good balance between respect and consideration for others' viewpoints.~~~Being a vital  part of the classroom is important to the population we as professionals serve. My desire is to work in a Special Needs classroom and Resource Instructor for Early Child Development. I do not expect to be in a large class, nor this is not my goal. 

Resources:


O'- Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Real communication. New York: Bedford/St. Martin's. 

Precious Moments:Retrieved on 11-18-2012., https://www.google.com/


Rubin, R. B., Palmgreen, P., & Sypher, H. E. (Eds.) (2009). Communication research measures: A sourcebook. New York: Routledge. "Communication Anxiety Inventory"  & "Verbal Aggressiveness Scale" 

Rubin, R. B., Rubin, A. M., Graham, E. E., Perse, E. M., & Seibold, D. R. (Eds.) (2009). Communication research measures II: A sourcebook. New York: Routledge. "Listening Styles Profile-16"

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy! I found your blog to reflect an entirely different Nancy from the person I have grown to know through our studies at Walden. Your personality seems so strong, and you are always willing to lend a hand; I would have predicted, based on my own schema, that you would have a zillion friends. Through our discussions, I definitely feel that you respect other's opinions, although you still stick up for your beliefs. I hope that you find a job working with children, because I think you have the knowledge and the warmth needed to succeed. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Nancy,
    I had my husband and my best friend evaluate me. They have known me for fourteen years. It was interesting to learn that my best friend feels that I have low anxiety speaking to a group of people and my husband said that I have moderate anxiety when speaking in front of a group of people. She explained to me that she can not tell if I am nervous when I speak in front of people. She told me that she did not base all of the evaluation on standing in front of a group speaking. She also used situation where I would be a part of the group but would feel comfortable speaking up within a large group. The application exercise help me realize that I am very trusting and empathetic. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete