Followers

Thursday, November 15, 2012

~Blog Assignment CD 6165~



 Communication Week~3 ~November 15, 2012~
Charlie Brown~"Thanksgiving"

 
Do you find yourself communicating differently with people from different groups and cultures? 


Youth
I find myself communicating differently with youth. Sometimes I try hard to understand what they want and how they get their needs met. I try so hard to get on their level, but I am generations removed from their thinking, clothing, lifestyle and many other social norms. I am a "Baby Boomer", very optimistic, crusade for causes, support equal rights for all and work efficiently~ "Millennials" are too close to their parents,

Koreans and Asian Groups: 
I don't like doing business with some Korean men.Most of them have wife's and I am single and they don't treat me as an equal when doing business. They are what Beebe (2011) calls the masculine cultures. They value traditional roles for both men and women.  

Fall 2012

If yes, in what ways do you communicate differently?

Youth: 
I don't use slang or words that don't have meaning.  Many youth dress inappropriate to me. I prefer professional attire while in a workplace setting. I also like to use common sense and be patience. 

Koreans: 
I feel as if I do business with someone, they should respect me and treat me as an equal. When I am getting a manicure, the Asian women are rude and constantly converse in their own language, I feel that they are talking about me and this is extremely rude because they are not involving me in their conversations. 
 
Copernican

Based on what you have learned this week, share at least three strategies you could use to help you communicate more effectively with the people or groups you have identified.

~My desire is to improve my Intercultural Communication Competence~

Develop skill:

Be Creatively Flexible~ Learn as I interact, and be willing to adjust my behavior as I learn~

Become Other-Oriented~ Put myself in the other person's mental position (social decentering) and emotional mindset (empathizing)~

Adapt My Communication ~ Adjust my behavior to others to ethically accommodate differences and exceptions~

References:

Beebe, S. A., Beebe, S. J., & Redmond, M. V. (2011). Interpersonal communication: Relating to others (6th ed.). Boston, MA: Allyn & Bacon.

4 comments:

  1. Nancy,
    Interesting post... I am trying to comment to see if I am able to post a comment. I have not been able to comment on your posts lately.

    -Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy! Love your pictures, especially the Disney Thanksgiving! I'm glad that I am finally able to post on your blog! I think we are both from the same generation, and as a result, the youth of today somewhat take us aback. However, I think as an early childhood educator it is our responsibility to look at life through these young children's eyes; it's a different world they are living in, Nancy. The only way we can truely relate, Nancy, is to get on their level... at least, that's how I feel. Thanks for sharing; I missed commenting on your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy, I see myself becoming my mother some days and viewing today's youth in a sometimes judgmental way. But I make myself think back to my childhood and how I had to have a colored streak in my hair (oh how I loved the 80's) and wore whatever was in style. We have to think about how different the world is from when we were kids. With technology developing so quickly and kids being in contact with people from all over the world, they have so many more influences than we ever had. The best we can do is be positive and supportive when we work with kids. I am thankful that while I work with 3-5 year olds I do not have to address the challenges that some educators do working with older children. It can be hard to see their perspectives, but to guide them we just need to be there for them and offer them the best options possible to guide them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Communicating with children is different but enlightening. Their conversations are based on experiences and interest. We have to pay close attention if the child is looking for information or excited about sharing information. Yes, our generational experiences do affect and differ how we communicate with each other but effective communication require us to become other oriented so that we can see from their perspective.

    ReplyDelete