Followers

Friday, January 13, 2012

Breastfeeding~Public Health


I chose the public health topic of  breastfeeding. Believe it or not, I breastfed my first born son for nearly four years. He seldom ever gets a cold. He was exempt from taking any immunizations (he has a rare immune metabolism gene); he has never been to the dentist and eats healthiest for his age group. In the beginning, I nursed him completely for 12 months straight, no food, and just some water during the summer season. I was a single mother and this was my first child. I was assisted by my local La Leche League and Dr. Paul Fleiss a holistic pedestrian who is a strong advocate for breastfeeding.  When my son turned six months, my mother said that he needed food.  I consulted La Leche League and asked them “should I give him oatmeal from an infant cereal box”. They told me that it was more nutrients if I just gave my infant the box to eat than the cereal inside. From then on, I continued to breastfed and only gave my son table food beginning at 12-months that I made from my blender.
I got married and had my son with Autism and nursed him for nine months because his sucking reflex was weak. Again, La Leche League supported me in that decision. Dr. Fleiss believes that if you have to stop nursing an infant with special needs (mainly you won’t have to) it is best to stop at nine months because an infant is nine months in the womb and nine months out of the womb that he beings autonomy.
Next, my daughter was born and her sucking grasp was rough on me. But, I withstood it and nursed her for two years. Then, came my last son and he was nursed for over two years. None of my infants sleep with me except when to nurse. I maintained my weight up until my daughter was born of 125 pounds and a breast size of 30A. Doing the stress of raising my three small children alone is when, I finally increased my weight.
The country, I chose is West and Central Africa. Presently, it remains the region of the world with the highest mortality rates worldwide. Laws are being put into place for the mother to breastfed one hour after birth at least and continue breastfeeding for another six months. Through policy action and program implementation mothers are empowered to be protected, promoted and supported in their traditional breastfeeding methods. Breastfeed in African nations has the potential to become the single most important child survival intervention. In 1981, the year I began breastfeeding, the World Health Organization adopted the International Code for breast feeding mothers worldwide.  This Code establishes certain medical protocols for lactating mothers and their infants.
My desire has been to consult when needed for La Leche League for breastfeeding mothers nationwide giving them knowledge of longevity and breastfeeding special needs infants.
Reference:
http://www.unicef.org/wcaro/WCARO_Pub_Breastfeeding.pdf

8 comments:

  1. I compliment your ability to breast feed your children for the length of time you did. I was not able to breastfeed my oldest daughter for several reasons and needed to use breast milk substitutions. My next two children I was able to breast feed past the six months recommendation. Opposite of your findings, my oldest daughter is the healthiest of my three children.
    I would agree in less developed countries, breast feeding can reduce infectious diseases and lower mortality. However in some cases of other risks, substitutes need to be available.
    My interpretation of your article on breastfeeding is different than your interpretation. My understanding is that legislation is being put into place to regulate the marketing of breast milk substitutes. The policies and programs that are in place are to protect, promote and support improved breastfeeding practices during the first six months (http://www.unicef.org/wcaro/WCARO_Pub_Breastfeeding.pdf).

    Reference:
    http://www.unicef.org/wcaro/WCARO_Pub_Breastfeeding.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that breastfeeding will help decrease the infant mortality rate in Africa. Support for the program is really needed. Your committment is admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commend you on your determination to breast feed your children. I tried it for three weeks and stopped because of how painful it became. maybe if I could have had the support of a strong advocate for breastfeeding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with breastfeeding 100 percent and when I have a child I want to breastfeed for as long as possible. I also agree that breastfeeding would help decrease infant mortality but if the women who are breastfeeding are in need of food, it may be rough on their body.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy, because you are so open and honest about your personal life , many women; parents and colleagues have insight they would not have otherwise . Thank you for sharing. I always look forward to reading your posts. I do not understand why so many women do not have the support they 'should' have for breast feeding. Who is behind the 'anti- breast feeding' campaign anyway ? Wonder , did their mothers breast feed them ? They lived to complain about others in modern times that do ! Find something else to complain about that will make someone's life better, not tear it down ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy,

    Your post was so intriguing. Like I explained in my post, I did not have access and education about breastfeeding when I had my first child. Breastfeeding was not promoted in the Mississippi Delta as it is today. By reading your post, I see that you breastfed all your children for more than two years except for your child with Autism. I see where the doctor said something about entering the autonomy stage. I do not quite understand that reasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I think it is so commendable that you breast fed your children as long as you did. I work at a childcare center and you would be amazed to see how many parents don't breast feed their children. Now granted I totally understand that there several challenges that come along with breast feeding, but a lot of the moms I work with seem to give up and not want to try to get their child to latch on. Sadly breast feeding is not as important as it used to be. While I am not sure if I can go as long as you did with your first child, I do intend to breast feed when I have children.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Breastfeeding is the best nutrition for babies. The nurses push the issue hear in Mississippi but many parents are yound and do not agree to breastfeeding. I only breastfed my youngest three until they were six months of age. I struggle with the fact of trying to eat healthy to produce milk that was nutritious for my baby. Many people should consider breastfeeding.

    ReplyDelete