Followers

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Early Child Development Codes of Ethics

Week 7- Blog Assignment: Examining Codes of Ethics
Code of Ethics: DEC
Three Meaningful Ethical Ideas Meaningful to in My Professional Life:

I.                   Professional Practice

Professional Collaboration

3.  We shall honor and respect the diverse backgrounds of our colleagues including such diverse characteristics as sexual orientation, race, national origin, religious beliefs, or other affiliations.


When I start working toward my career in early childhood development, I realize that many of my colleagues will be from diverse backgrounds. It will be my duty as a professional to respect these diverse backgrounds. I must also respect the culture which is not limited to food, language, dress, manners and family traditions.

II.                Professional Development and Preparation

4.  We shall support professionals new to the field by mentoring them in the practice of evidence and ethically based services.
I will be a professional that is returning to the field of early child development thus I will have to shadow a mentor in this field. However, I will have assistants to serve as their mentor. Because I am working toward a higher degree, I will know about professional journals and evidence based practice along with attending conferences and workshops.

III.             Responsive Family Centered Practices

4.  We shall empower families with information and resources so that they are informed consumers of services for their children.
Providing resources to consumers, who are the families, is most important to me as a professional. Empowering mother’s to go back to school and seek careers is valuable for the entire family. Helping families seek information and resources are the pivotal focus in this profession.
Code of Ethical Conduct: NAEYC
Section I: Ethical Responsibilities to Children
1-1.3 To recognize and respect the unique qualities, abilities, and potential of each child.
This code stood out to me so clearly and it will enhance my professional growth in early child development. Ethically, we must serve as mentors in and out of our classrooms. Many years ago I had a child in my kindergarten classroom, it was a private school, and she was being raise by her father. The other children looked at her differently, but I took the time to share with her that fathers can be good parents as well.  
Section II: Ethical Responsibilities to Families
1-2.4 to respect the dignity and preferences of each family and to make an effort to learn about its structure, culture, language, customs, and beliefs.
There are so many different dialects of the Spanish/Latino/Hispanic culture in California. I often listen to what the children are saying in their native language and pick up on the different dialects. It is important as a professional to integrate all students in my classroom despite their language and culture differences.
Section IV: Ethical Responsibilities to Community and Society
Ideal (Individual)
1-4.1 to provide the community with high-quality early childhood care and education programs and services.
Community is so important in the Head Start program. Society may think that these parents have little voice in which to advocate, but as professionals we have to become their voice. We deserve to provide quality programs to our parents. A teacher with a degree and even with an advanced degree is a great asset to the program. 

References
The Division for Early Childhood. (2000, August). Code of ethics. Retrieved May 26, 2010,        from            http://www.dec-sped.org/


6 comments:

  1. In your posting for Professional Collaboration #4, I think it is very important to chose mentor teachers wisely. Too many times I have seen a new teacher enter the field and get guidance from someone who doesn't always have well rounded ethical practices. It is truly sad. When menotoring, a professional needs to remember that they are a role model not only for the children, but for other adults.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In section II, I also agree with you in that it is important as a professional to integrate all students in the classroom despite their language and culture differences. In working with military families that come from various cultural backgrounds, I feel we must embrace cultural differences within our classrooms, and focus on the child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like your choices. I total agree with 1-1.3, you have to recognize the qualities in each child. Children are unique in their own way. Learning about them gives the teacher a better understanding of the child.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy,
    Your blog page is simply BREATH- TAKING AND BEAUTIFUL !!

    Mentoring is a key component in this field. I am certain that the newer professionals you mentor will become great at what they do . Your passion for what you do is inspiring!
    I wish you well on your track of endevors !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great selections chosen, I read where you said "I will be a professional that is returning to the field of early child development thus I will have to shadow a mentor in this field". Are you at all nervous of the new requirements placed within the field of early childhood education? What were some motivating factors to draw you back in?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, a little bit nervous, but I think I will be a fast learner. Need to look up the new requirements, but I have my early child development permit, I just need to put it in a supervisory status now. Motivating factor to draw me back in is that I have been home now for over six years and I am missing being around children, classroom and learning about the expansion of the field now.

    ReplyDelete